Dragon's Dogma Review

Dragon's Dogma an animated series based off Capcom's game of the same name just dropped on 

Netflix a couple of days ago at the moment I'm writing this review. Despite being based on the game, I 

believe it is telling an original story using the lore and universe of the game series, although I have not 

played the games so I can't completely confirm this but I'm pretty sure its an original story. I think the 

best part of this series is the theme of the seven deadly sins and human nature, which they also used to 

structure the series, like how there are 7 episodes, with each episode focused on one particular sin. Each

 episode also features a particular unique monster or creature that changes up the type of action we get, 

making every episode fairly fresh and easy to binge. The basic premise of Dragon's Dogma is that a 

man named Ethan, who is living a normal village life with his wife and unborn child until one day he 

loses everything including his heart when a mythical dragon destroys his village leaving him as the 

only survivor. 



The dragon has taken his heart but Ethan does not die, instead, he becomes what is known as an 

Arisen and is driven only by his rage to slay the dragon. Ethan is also joined by an odd character who

introduces herself as a pawn, she is somehow connected to the Arisen but it is never explained in the 

series. She is given the name Hannah by Ethan, she in all honesty is my favorite character in the whole

series because she has in my opinion the best character development. She starts off with no human-like 

emotion, just like a robot fresh from the factory. But over time she learns from Ethan and various 

people they meet throughout her and Ethan's journey to find the dragon. She sees the depravity of 

human nature but she also sees the good side. In the end, she embodies the good side of humanity and 

learns to care and love others. This is a big contrast to Ethan who becomes less human as the series 

goes on and is eventually consumed by his rage and cursed to repeat the cycle of destruction that he 

sought to stop. I really liked the duality between these two characters but also the duality between 

humans and monsters. How humans have the potential to be good but also the potential to be the 

scariest monsters. In terms of voice acting, it is hit or miss for me, characters like Ethan's wife had a 

very generic voice that really fell flat for me but a one-off character from episode 2, the corrupt mayor 

had excellent voice acting that fit the character. This really goes for the whole series, some of the voice 

acting I liked while others I thought were pretty bad or flat. Initially, I really didn't like Ethan's voice 

but as the episodes went by I grew used to it but it is still pretty mediocre in my opinion. Hannah's 

voice is interesting because she starts out emotionless but more emotion and energy gets introduced to 

her voice and evolves it over the series. This was done to great effect in my opinion and her final scene 

with Ethan was a great show of emotion for the character. So overall I would say the voice acting was 

nothing special with some standout performances. In terms of animation and style, the show uses CG 

animation and character design is resembling anime like Attack On Titan. The animation is decent with 

some beautiful moments sprinkled far between. The various monsters are designed in a fairly generical

manner, taking their design pretty much exact form from their Dungeons and Dragons counterparts. 

Honestly, there was nothing special about this show, it is in every way the worst version of the 

Castlevania series which has better animation, voice acting, story, and characters. It is not a bad show 

though, it never overstayed its welcome and was entertaining to watch. I didn't get bored at any point 

and I liked the whole theme of human nature and the seven deadly sins. Overall I would give this show

a 7 out of 10. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glitch Techs Review

Glitch Techs Season 2 Review

Kipo Season 2 Review